Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fashion: art or artless?








This past weekend I spent time in New York City. My bestie is up in Brooklyn this week and last week dancing at a Mark Morris summer intensive. I decided that I would kill multiple birds with one stone. 1) see the bestie dance in a demonstration of what she learned last week. 2) hangout with my cousin who lives in the upper east side. 3) navigate nyc and the subway system by myself before I move there in 65 days (not that I'm counting or anything...). 4) just hangout in one of my favorite cities. 
SO. I did all of these things. and it was amazing. and my bestie was amazing dancing. and hanging out with my cousin was amazing. and hanging out in nyc with three of my girl friends was amazing. I had NO desire to come home to LancLanc At All. 








On saturday, three of my girl friends, my cousin, and I spent the morning at the MET. we saw a special show called Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations. It was a fascinating show, exploring the similarities of two different fashion designers from two different eras, Elsa Schiaparelli and Miuccia Prada. I was struck, while moseying my way through the exhibit, how different my idea of fashion is, and what Schiaparelli and Prada's view of fashion is. It's safe to say that we all differ completely. 
Schiaparelli viewed fashion as art. She said that if she hadn't become a designer she would have been a sculptor. Prada, on the other hand, did not view fashion as art. She seemed to only do it as a rebellion to anyone and everyone. However, I was confused. If she did not view fashion as art, as she had stated, then she had a strange way of expressing that. Her clothing is unwearable for the average person. It Is Art. There's no question. It's elaborate and unflattering for most people. And thus, I realized my opinion on fashion.


Fashion should be beautiful.


Fashion should be flattering to the wearer.


Fashion should be graceful.


Fashion should be classy. (However that doesn't mean it can't be fun and take risks)


Fashion should be art, but art that the wearer wears, not that wears the wearer.


I didn't realize how strongly I felt these things, until observing Schiaparelli and Prada's exhibit at the MET.




















So that's what I've been thinking about recently. {all photos either found on tumblr, the met website or my instagram}

Tell me your thoughts. CA

No comments:

Post a Comment